June 26, 2005

Monsoons Again!

After almost three weeks after the first showers in Kerala, monsoons have finally reached Hyderabad. The change in climate is quick and beautiful. But I am missing monsoons in Kerala, second time in my life!!

Monsoon for me was, like any child in lower primary school, raincoat-clad trips to school carrying heavy school bags, desperately trying to save it from getting soaked in the rain. That was till my 5th standard, after which I got admission to the residential system of schooling in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Neriamangalam. For those who do not know, Neriamnagalam is the Chirapunji of Kerala, the most raining place in the state. I think the long seven years of stay at this place made me a lover of monsoons!

Neriamangalam is a very beatiful place, right at the border of Ernakulam and Idukki districts, on the way to Munnar from Kochi. My school was situated between two parallel hills (mountains is what we called them then), and they somehow created a feeling that the campus was surrounded by mountains on all four sides, creating the best scenery you can think of, with two water falls visible throughout the year. The place looked most beautiful when it rained, the rains were so heavy that you would see countless water falls all over these mountains in minutes. And suddenly the whole campus will be full of so much water that the unusually big drainages in the school campus would seemed too less to accomodate the water. And I have never found more fun than playing in the big football ground when it is water soaked and when there are no body around scolding you to come out of rains ;-) I can write non-stop on my school and life there, but may be on a separate post!

Rains in Hyderabad are also beautiful. This place being a hilly terrain, it almost makes me remeber Neriamangalam. I miss my school days!

No comments: